25.11.08

Zen in the Morning

I keep a little Pocket Poets book of Zen poems on my desk at the office. Sometimes I read one as I'm starting my day, and I like to think they give me a better perspective on life and work. Here's one of my favorites:

Green Creek
To get right down to Yellow Flower River
I often follow the waters of Green Creek.
They wind around the mountains endlessly--
A path straight there would run a few score miles.

There are sounds of water crashing on tumbled stones;
Scenes of silence deep within the pines.
Water chestnut and water fringe float on the ripples;
Still limpid waters mirror the reeds.

My mind is unencumbered now,
Clear and tranquil, as the river is.
Come, stay a while, rest here upon this stone--
Cast out a fishing line and let things be.

Wang Wei
Trans. Peter Harris

I remember this poem when I am overwhelmed with the petty details of day to day life, and I offer it to others when they seem to be feeling overwhelmed as well. Perhaps when we pause to reflect we ultimately make better decisions and lead happier lives.

No comments: